Monday, January 23, 2017


I meant to write this post last night but since the illness that invaded my house last week finally caught up with me, I called it an early night.  Let me start by first saying, THANK YOU!  Yes, in all CAPS because I am overwhelmed by the comments, emails, texts and phone calls I received after I reflected on last week's marathon.  The image above was sent to me in one of those communications and it really hit home for me.

The other thing that happened last week that also hit me right in the feels, came from a student at school who is a member of the Running Club I oversee.  Meet Oliver, he is a sweet little (he may not like that I said that) 4th grader with a passion for running, books and from evidenced below, doughnuts!  A kid after my own heart.


Last week, he participated in the school Spelling Bee.  This guy made it to the end where he was up against 8th graders!  Well, as the story goes, he did not win and as I know all too well, he was devastated.  He had been confident he was going to win.  Which, by the way, his mother informs me is a trait he gets from his dad.  Don't EVER lose that confidence Oliver, it will serve you well!

Running Club was that afternoon and Oliver was not feeling up to running.  His mother volunteers, so he had to stay.  As I would learn later, Oliver's mother pulled up my blog and let him read it on the way home.  She explained that while I was very disappointed with my performance, I, like Oliver should be extremely proud of what was accomplished.  She went on to explain that she doesn't know anyone that runs, let alone runs marathons.  This woman was using my story to teach her son that sometimes life doesn't turn out the way you envisioned.  You may not reach your goal the first time (or several times) but its what you learn from each experience that matters.

I was privileged to hear this story from his mom on Saturday as we watched Oliver and my oldest compete in a Lego Robotics Competition.  I had no idea that this journey would serve as a model to these kids.  Coming home from Houston there was doubt I would ever try again.  I prayed for a reason to continue seeking that Qualifying time. Knowing I have kids like Oliver watching, just might be the answer I was looking for.  

And if it takes me 9000 times, if it shows a kid there is no shame is losing, only in not trying then bring on #6!     

By the way, Oliver and the rest of the Robotics won 2nd place overall!  
Wish them luck at Regionals!

No comments:

Post a Comment