Thursday, September 8, 2016


Form First, Speed Later


So, two weeks ago I had some company on my long run.  I've been feeling the shin splints a little.  Its not a constant but enough to remind me that I need to run smart so I've been keeping the coach up to date on how I feel after each run.  He decided he should come out and watch my form.  The picture above reminds me of what I felt like knowing I was being "watched".   I joked that he had a paper and pencil out making notes to grade me on later! 

Not really, but it still was a little unnerving.  No one wants to have this vision in their mind of looking like Shalane Flanagan only to be told you look more like Phoebe!

But in all seriousness, form matters!  My focus during runs this week has been to drive from the hips and keep my upper body quiet.  Hmm, ok.  Doesn't sound too hard until you try it.  I honestly thought my form was good, then I caught a glimpse of my shadow in the street lights Wednesday morning and saw just what he meant by keep your upper body quiet.  The frustrating part was my pace slowed as a result of focusing on form.  Shouldn't it be as easy as lacing up the shoes and putting one foot in front of the other?! 

I've been running for years without any thought to form.  To change it won't happen overnight, so I've been told.  I'll get there, it will just take work, time and patience.  I'm not afraid of the work, I'll put in the time needed but man that last one!  It gets me every time!  

Wish me luck.






No comments:

Post a Comment